Apprenticeships and Traineeships for School-aged Learners (ApTSLs) are a learning pathway that combine paid employment and on-the-job training under a formal training contract.
With over 140 approved qualifications to choose from in Tasmania, a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship can provide a pathway into a career in a trade or other vocation, giving you a head start in your chosen career.
- Apprenticeships and traineeships can be undertaken full-time, part-time or as a school-based apprenticeship/traineeship.
- A school-based apprenticeship or traineeship offers flexibility. It enables a student in Year 10, 11 and 12 to combine school, work and training to achieve a nationally recognised qualification.
- Students are expected to attend school and work toward their Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE).
- Students in years 11 and year 12 can undertake a part-time apprenticeship/traineeship.
A school-based apprenticeship or traineeship enables a year 10, 11 and 12 student to combine work and training to achieve a nationally recognised qualification, while still attending school and working toward their Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE). A student in year 9 can undertake an apprenticeship/traineeship only under certain conditions which may include either a TTAC approval (ASbA) or an exemption from attending school or a combination of both (full-time).
More information for apprentice and trainee opportunities
If you have a learner interested in becoming a school-based apprentice or trainee, talk to your school’s Australian School-based Apprenticeships (ASbA) Facilitator.
The Apprenticeships and Traineeships for School-aged Learners (ApTSL) team are also available to answer any questions or concerns regarding school-based apprenticeships and traineeships – you can contact them on 0436 926 817 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: this information has been compiled for DECYP schools and Facilitators. Independent and Catholic audiences are welcome to refer to this information though it may not always apply to their contexts.
Relevant Apprentice and trainee resources
TCE – Tasmanian Certificate of Education and ASbA
Apprenticeships and Traineeship for School-aged Learners (ApTSL) – including ASbA
- FAQs – Apprenticeships and Traineeships
- Process for all Apprenticeships and Traineeships (ApTSL)
- Requirements and Guidelines for the Delivery of Apprenticeships and Traineeships to School-aged Learners
- Approved Learning Program-Requirements & Guidance for Youth Engagement in Post Year 10 Education & Training
- VISON for Vocational learning and VET in Tasmanian Schools to 2030
- Planned Program of Learning Years 9-12
- Years 9 to 12 Education Framework 2018 – 2022
- Years 9 to 12 Curriculum Framework
Australian School-based Apprenticeships (ASbA) – New Training Contract Resources
Career Education and ApTSL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- ASbA Booklet for Employers – Futureproof your workforce
- ASbA Booklet for Students – Earn while your learn
Progression Guides (under review):
- ASbA Aged Care
- ASbA Agriculture
- ASbA Aquaculture
- ASbA Business
- ASbA Business Administration
- ASbA Civil Construction
- ASbA Community Service
- ASbA Conservation and Land Management
- ASbA Construction
- ASbA Education Support
- ASbA Electrotechnology
- ASbA Engineering
- ASbA Horticulture
- ASbA Hospitality
- ASbA Information Digital Media and Technology Flyer
- ASbA Kitchen Operations Flyer
- ASbA Retail Services
- ASbA Tourism
Completion of Year 12 - TEMPLATE for School Facilitators