Vocational Education and Training (VET) enables students to acquire skills and knowledge for work through a nationally recognised industry-developed training package or accredited course. VET is practical, hands-on learning with an industry/trade focus. Courses in Tasmania range from Certificate I to Advanced Diploma level.
Undertaking VET may benefit students’ exploration of a variety of career pathways; it is not just reserved for a pathway within the trades (e.g. plumbing, automotive, and construction). Students can complete VET in a diverse range of industries, including business administration, veterinary nursing, aged care, or sport and recreation.
- VET is delivered using an industry-developed training package or accredited course.
- A VET qualification is delivered, assessed, and certified by a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
- Participating in VET can provide credit points towards the attainment of the Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE), and/or the attainment of a nationally recognised VET qualification.
- The achievement of a VET qualification signifies that a student has demonstrated competency against the skills and knowledge specified to perform effectively in the workplace.
2023 VET Pathways Industry Engagement and Alignment Process
The 2023 VET Pathways Industry Engagement and Alignment Process has been developed to support clearer learning pathways between school, Vocational Education and Training (VET), university and beyond.
- Under the Requirements and Guidelines VET to School Students, approval must be sought for the delivery of Certificate III qualifications, and Full qualifications prior to Year II
- The VET Pathways Industry Engagement and Alignment Process has been developed to assist schools to seek approval.
Industry advice for VET delivered in Schools
Advice for Certificate III and above
Community Services and Health
Certificate III in Community Services (PDF, 129KB)
Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (PDF, 177KB)
Certificate III in Fitness (PDF, 106KB)
Certificate III in Health Services Assistance (PDF, 149KB)
Certificate III in Individual Support (PDF, 113KB))
Certificate III in School Based Education Support (PDF, 106KB)
Certificate IV in Fitness (PDF, 103KB)
Creative Industries and Retail
Food and Fibre Production
ICT and Professional Services
Tourism and Hospitality
General sector advice
For more information or support on delivering VET in your school, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.